The Petzl Summit is the ultimate ice axe choice for classic mountaineering. A lightweight axe, the Petzl Summit is designed with a head and spike that deliver fantastic anchor performance to hold steadfast into the rock, as well as both having holes for easy clipping of a carabiner or for attaching a sling. The very tip of the pick is toothed for clinging to hard ice, while the middle section is thicker to work it's way through soft snow. The upper part of the spike is curved, which gives excellent clearance for climbers on their route, promoting climber agility and movement. A classic ice axe for those classic ice routes.
Petzl Summit Key Features
Lightweight ice axe, but with enough weight in the head for good anchoring power
- the upper part of the shaft is curved to offer good clearance when climbing
- the lower part is straighter and guarantees efficient penetration in snow
Pick and adze in hot-forged steel, ensuring solid anchoring:
- pick is thin (3 mm) and toothed at the tip, ensuring good anchoring qualities in hard snow and ice
- pick is thicker in the middle to favor anchoring in soft snow
- teeth on upper part of pick strengthen the hold on the ice axe in piolet-rampe mode
- durable spike in stainless steel for very good penetration in hard snow and in piolet-canne mode
High strength and practical aspects:
- very durable steel adze offers a comfortable support surface, and the design of the edges allows stairs to be carved efficiently
- tilted adze directs the axe correctly into the snow (piolet-canne usage)
- head and spike equipped with holes for clipping a carabiner or attaching a sling
- high-quality aluminum shaft (7075 aluminum, used in aeronautics), with anodized finish for excellent protection
-handle is cut into the adze to create a better grip
Ice axe compatible with LINKIN leash
2 product reviews
I bought this axe, after several overall positive articles about the product. I did found only one ugly thing on it. It's that I brushed substantial amount of that black color, after just one use. To it's defence it was on climbing session, when axe was quite often rubbed against rock wall.
Did quite a bit of research before I purchased this ice axe. It's really well made and lightweight. Would definitely recommend.