Sorry, this product is temporarily out of stock.
The Petzl Gully is an ultralight ice axe designed for technical mountaineering and steep skiing. The shaft and pick are rated 1, and this alongside a minimalist adze or hammer maintains a low weight of 280 g. The TRIGREST hand-rest, however, ensures technical performance when it's required.
|MATERIAL(S)||Steel, aluminium, nylon|
• Ice axe with steel head and banana-shaped pick that is tapered to 3 mm for efficient penetration and easy unhooking
• Minimalist adze and hammer for cleaning holds or hammering a piton back in
• The TRIGREST handrest allows the position of the hand or the index finger to be adjusted into climbing mode quickly and without tools
• Addition of weights (optional) improves anchoring quality in very cold ice
• Shaft length: 45 cm
• The beveled spike makes it easy to carry the ice axe in a pack without damage to the bag
3 product reviews
I use 2 of these axes for combined ski mountaineering and steep slopes in the alps. It's crazy light, grip is ok and it bites into ice just like more technical ice tools would.
Only drawdown is the relative short length of the blade and that you can not change it. It's a specialized tool and excels considering the low weight.
My first ice axe was a 65cm piolet style axe which worked fine. All guides and experienced climbers I've met since all use short axes, under 50cm. Slightly bent or straight. I decided to try for myself, . I am not disappointed, I've never missed the length of my old axe.
This is super light and versatile: I've used it for glacier travel, Alpine climbs and I've tried it on vertical ice (with top rope) just to get a feel for it. It even works for that, not nearly as good as a real ice climbing axe. But in a pinch....
Also nice to travel with since it fits inside.most backpacks.
But if you need a axe for general use, maybe not as your workhorse or vertical ice axe.
Great lightweight ice axe! Short shaft, so not ideal for using as a cane but I use it as a secondary axe for steeper/icy terrain. So light you barely notice it on your pack. Technical head is sharp has good purchase in ice. Trigrest functions well for added security so your hand doesn't slide off.