Petzl GriGri Belay Device
New for 2019, the Petzl GrIGri is a streamlined amalgamation of the GriGri 2 and the GriGri+. Designed for climbing at the crag or at the climbing wall, the Petzl GriGri allows for superior rope control and extra smooth lowering thanks to its compact, smooth design. So how is it different to the GriGri 2 and the GriGri+? Essentially it takes the camming unit from the GriGri+ but doesn't include the extra safety features. Updates include a lower-profile thumb catch, bigger rope capacity, user diagrams engraved on the inside and outside of the plate, as well as a space to write your name. The result is a versatile, lightweight belay device with superior lowering properties. It's exceptionally smooth and the perfect upgrade for climbers who're used to belaying with a GriGri 2.
|MATERIALS||aluminum side plates, stainless steel cam and friction plate, reinforced nylon handle|
|ROPE CAPACITY||8.5 to 11 mm single rope|
|RECOMMENDED USE||Sport climbing, gym climbing, trad and multi-pitch climbing|
At a Glance
Belay device with assisted braking, compatible with a broad range of single rope diameters, for both gym and crag:
- feeding slack and catching falls are done using standard belay techniques; always keep a hand on the brake-side of the rope
- the assisted braking function is activated when a climber falls, the device pivots, the rope tightens and the cam pinches and blocks the rope. Holding the brake side of the rope helps engage the cam, therefore it is important to always hold the brake side of the rope
- compatible with dynamic single ropes 8.5 to 11 mm, optimised for 8.9 to 10.5 mm
- rope installation diagram engraved on both the interior and exterior of the device
Exceptional comfort during descents:
- the ergonomic handle allows you to easily lower someone
- smooth descent control is achieved thanks to the progressive action of the cam
Designed for experienced belayers:
- simple to use for belaying both lead or top-rope climbers
- optimally balanced design: lightweight (175 g), compact and durable
10 product reviews
I really like this simply the best belay device and it is really great for sport climbing and it's lighter than I imagined before. I really like it in orange colour.
This is the first GriGri that I own, though I have used all other GriGri models when climbing in gyms or with friends.
I am completely pleased with the new GriGri, it looks and feels almost identical to the GriGri2, but has a few slight improvements, most importantly the ability to handle thinner ropes (up to 8.5mm).
Overall it feels very familiar to anyone who has used any GriGri before.
Also, price was great on epic.tv so it is definitely worth buying over a GriGri 2.
This belay device is one of the best! It has great characteristics and is easy to use!
A really nice upgrade to the Grigri 2. Same great quality as always just seems to be tweaked in a couple of very nice ways to make everything feel a bit better all around.
The best belay device is better now. Great equipment and fast shipping.