Petzl GriGri Belay Device
New for 2019, the Petzl GrIGri is a streamlined amalgamation of the GriGri 2 and the GriGri+. Designed for climbing at the crag or at the climbing wall, the Petzl GriGri allows for superior rope control and extra smooth lowering thanks to its compact, smooth design. So how is it different to the GriGri 2 and the GriGri+? Essentially it takes the camming unit from the GriGri+ but doesn't include the extra safety features. Updates include a lower-profile thumb catch, bigger rope capacity, user diagrams engraved on the inside and outside of the plate, as well as a space to write your name. The result is a versatile, lightweight belay device with superior lowering properties. It's exceptionally smooth and the perfect upgrade for climbers who're used to belaying with a GriGri 2.
|MATERIALS||aluminum side plates, stainless steel cam and friction plate, reinforced nylon handle|
|ROPE CAPACITY||8.5 to 11 mm single rope|
|RECOMMENDED USE||Sport climbing, gym climbing, trad and multi-pitch climbing|
At a Glance
Belay device with assisted braking, compatible with a broad range of single rope diameters, for both gym and crag:
- feeding slack and catching falls are done using standard belay techniques; always keep a hand on the brake-side of the rope
- the assisted braking function is activated when a climber falls, the device pivots, the rope tightens and the cam pinches and blocks the rope. Holding the brake side of the rope helps engage the cam, therefore it is important to always hold the brake side of the rope
- compatible with dynamic single ropes 8.5 to 11 mm, optimised for 8.9 to 10.5 mm
- rope installation diagram engraved on both the interior and exterior of the device
Exceptional comfort during descents:
- the ergonomic handle allows you to easily lower someone
- smooth descent control is achieved thanks to the progressive action of the cam
Designed for experienced belayers:
- simple to use for belaying both lead or top-rope climbers
- optimally balanced design: lightweight (175 g), compact and durable
35 product reviews
My previous experience with Grigri was at the gym where Grigris are connected to the top rope routes. I liked the smooth experience of using it, but since it is a bit expensive and heavy, I didn’t consider buying it until now when I wanted it for other uses as well and not only belaying. Having a long experience with assisted and not assisted breaking tube style belaying devices getting used to safely belay with Grigri on lead routes only took 2-3 pithes. Assisted breaking function is miles above any of my other belaying devices. I believe that Grigri will become my main belay device for sports routes. Also, after having my first hand experience with it, I would trust almost anyone to safely belay me with Grigri while on top rope.
Finally caved to pressure and bought myself a grigri (was skeptical being left handed). Absolutely love it and has been so handy when friends were working on routes.
I used it for sport climbing and multi pitch routes. Very Recommended
Even better than GriGri+
Absolutely the standard for belay devices